Building on the success of the Health eHeart Study at UC San Francisco, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) awarded $9.75 million to UCSF for the creation of Eureka, a platform that enables investigators to conduct mobile and wireless health research in a less costly, more streamlined manner. The research platform accelerates mobile health (mHealth) by providing researchers with easy access to a large cohort of volunteers who have agreed to participate in the research, along with a quick, affordable means for collecting their health data through mobile and wireless technologies. Eureka builds off the innovative Health eHeart Study, harnessing the power of online and mobile technology to gather data from study participants through devices such as smartphone apps, ambulatory mHealth devices such as ECG patches and portable blood pressure cuffs, as well as consumer wearables and fitness trackers such as Fitbits and Apple Watches.
Platform Product Manager
The successful candidate will bear primary responsibility for platform-wide product improvements with special emphasis on improving functionality and user experience for participants and study teams through user-centered design and analytics approaches. S/he will serve as a point of contact for external teams, including faculty and clinical research coordinators (CRCs), outside entities such as device/app providers, and other collaborators. The candidate will be accountable for platform-wide projects launched through the Eureka research platform. The individual will be able to facilitate rapid deployment of research studies for collaborators from institutions around the nation. S/he will also own the platform roadmap, maintaining/developing relevant Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and other relevant tools to enhance project management.
This position applies user-centered design methodologies and processes to capture user requirements. Creates, evaluates, and modifies designs and prototypes in support of software and web/app development. Gathers input from users, clients, and multidisciplinary team members at all phases of the design process. Ensures that relevant needs, features, and experiences are feasible and ultimately represented in the product or service being developed. Performs usability evaluations for development teams. Produces written specifications describing user requirements and internal structures/procedures for the product or service in development.
The main purpose of this position is to ensure that the Eureka product optimally serves the mission of clinical research, and that the Eureka program maintains a reputation for excellence in all activities. A successful applicant will thrive in a fast-paced environment, take initiative, resolve problems and provide clarity in ambiguous situations. We are looking for a go-getter with excellent relationship building skills, and a team player who can lead implementation of a product vision and also work independently. Adaptability to changing circumstances and the ability to respond well to ambiguity and thrive on challenges is a necessity. Proficient organizational skills, multitasking and communication both written and spoken are a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and minimum three years of directly related experience; and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Working knowledge of Google Suite
- Ability to identify key issues critical to the organization’s need and the success of a desired product, service and enhancement.
- Ability to research, collect and analyze targeted information to use in determining product options or alternatives.
- Proficient organization and project management skills.
- Proficient oral communication skills to effectively convey and explain information.
- Proficient written communications skills to draft clear, concise documentation, reports and specifications.
- Ability to lead, build consensus and promote the exchange of information among project team, internal and external constituencies.
- CPM or PMP certificate or equivalent
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite software.
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
- Understanding of the user-centered design process (user research, user needs assessment, user modeling, design, usability evaluation and developer relations).
- Understanding of design principles, guidelines and relevant policies including web accessibility standards.
- Basic web and/or software development skills
- Working knowledge of Github and Zenhub
- Understanding of the clinical research lifecycle
- Broad knowledge of product development concepts, practices, standards and processes.